11/15/18

Top 3 Occult Fiction on iFlix

Now Playing: Always in Between (Deluxe) - Jess Glynne

Earlier this year, I got introduced to the term called “binge-watch”. I used to just say “watching all episodes back to back”. Anyway, before this I don’t do a lot of series binge-watching. I will only watched the new season when it being air on TV.

I guess, the streaming platform like Netflix, iFlix, Viu, Hulu and others has changed the landscapes of "watching activity". The first time I tried iFlix, I enjoy watching movies (in bed) and 2 Broke Girls (during dinner).

After finished the whole season of 2 Broke Girls, I discovered series called Younger. I’ve written a lil’ bit about how addicted I am to the series here. It was so good that watching one episode per day is not enough.  Unfortunately, iFlix provided the series only up to Season 3 and the series is still on going (if any iFlix staff reading this, please consider to bring in Season 4 and 5). I watch Younger everyday, that when the season finale is hanging, I felt incomplete.

After that, I decided that I will only binge-watch series that has completed the whole season. That is when I decided to watch Teen Wolf and the list go on. For the record, after watching the series/movie that I listed down below, I did put up some thoughts on IG story and Twitter. But I still wanted to talk more (read as: geeking out) about the series and movie.

So, here you go "My Top 3 Occult Fiction on iFlix":

1. Teen Wolf (6 seasons)

Previously, I watched this series on TV9 without knowing the episodes or what season it is. At that time, I only understand half of the story ... I was watching just to get the time passed by. 

This year, I finally took the time to follow this series. As I get into the story, I refuse to do other things at night. I would prefer to stay in my room and watch 2 to 4 episodes back to back. If the storyline get so good, I could go to 5 episodes in one night.

One thing about Teen Wolf, they are really good in making hook at the end of each episode. So every time when one episode is finished, you'll feel desperate to see the next episode.

My favourite season is Season 3(A). I think the villain at that time really great, each character begin to catching up with their role in the story.

But talking about Season 3 as a whole, it also give impact to the audience (read: me) when Allison died.

Seriously, its hard to move on from Scott and Allison. They're a perfect match. Even when Scott was in relationship with Kira it doesn't feel right. Like there is no any spark between them. #TeamAllison.
Something feel off bout the season for awhile.

The advantages of the characters in this series is they are allow to grow. Most of characters, can change from someone you hate to someone you love. I give you Lydia for example. Lydia character is quite annoying at the start. As the time goes, she finally belong to the group and her love-hate relationship with Stiles is kinda sweet. Another example is Deucalion. He started as mean Alpha but them he found peace in himself. Or even Theo.

Only those with true evil heart, remain as ultimate antagonist at the end. Which perfect as a final war.

Talking about characters, I think the parents character in this story are really cool (even Peter Hale is funny and cunning). I mean look at Scott’s Mom, Stiles’ father and Mr. Argent. Glad they are in the opening credit as the season goes by. They play an important role in this series.

I have to say, when you’re attached to the series the senior scribe scene with FAMY by Ava were playing as background it really touched my heart. Mixed feelings. It's between proud that they have become senior and also sad for the characters that have left sooner T.T 

Teen Wolf ends well although lack of Stiles appearance (he was with Scott since day 1, so of course it impacted the audience) but it was all good.


2. Grimm (6 seasons)

Somehow when Monroe introduced Nick to wolfs-bane during the first episode, it kinda remind me of Teen Wolf. 

In Season 1, every decision is easy to be categorise as black and white for Nick. Every Wesen is the villain in each episode. Nick able to control both world.

Moving into Season 2, his two world collide. Looks like his responsibility as Grimm begin to effect his life that includes his relationship with Juliet and his friendship with Hank and Wu, later with his Captain.

What I admire about this series is how efficient Nick, Hank and Wu work as a team. In every episode they are not wasting any time to run the investigation. Imagine to have this kind of efficiency of teamwork in real work life. I remember in one of the episode, Hank just come to work the sit down in his chair. Suddenly Nick come over and said, "Hey I got a lead!"

Hank spotaneously grab his jacket and said, "... then in this chair is not where I wanna be."

A few episodes, really startled me. I never expected to be really shocked by the Wesen.
Well, my expectation is wrong. Haha!

I think Grimm reach its peak during Season 5. Where the conflict got complicated. I watch 3 final episode straight together with Episode 1 Season 6. After that, I catch a headache because of how big the crisis are. (Lol! Got into the story so much). And kinda sad because Meisner got killed.

In Season 6 most of the Wesen didn't even scared of Grimm anymore. Compare to Season 1, every Wesen were really shock when they woged and saw Nick's eyes. In Season 6, we finally see all the main characters accepting each other ... and also one of light and bright episode. Which is really rare in this series because most of the its all about homicide and investigation. 

I think the dynamic character in this series are Adalind and Sean Renard. Their characteristic changed according to the situation. Especially Sean Renard. He is hard to tell. You can't 100% like or hate him. I am also glad for the character who came and stay like Rosalee and Trubel.

Rosalee really brought colour and help for the small team (Nick and Monroe) while Trubel make Nick journey as a Grimm more interesting. The way she fight she deserves to be Burkhardt like Nick and Kelly. 

Soundtrack is not an element to this series. I can only think of 3 or 4 times where there's a song in the episode. Most of the time, its the sound effect. Book and phone play bigger role in this series. Everytime they need to search something, the will refer to the book or calling each other. It will be really interesting to know how the production prepare all this books.  

After finish watching the series, I read the discussion and comment made on Grimm Wiki Fandom, I am 100% agree for Diana, Kelly and Triplets spin-off. It will be sooooo interesting.

P/s: It so weird in 6 seasons of Grimm no one mention that Rosalee and Bud is a cute Wesen. 

P/s II: This series was aired on TV2 during my school days, but it was aired during midnight, so I never got a chance to watch it. I only saw its TV promo.


3. The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones

I remember getting interested to trailer but due lack of money / tight deadline (I was a student when this movie hit the cinema), I do not go and watch it. Fast forward to now, I’m glad that I got a chance to watch i ton iFlix. It was a fun movie!

When I saw the trailer, I thought its gonna be a story with slow pace and dark style. The pace went the opposite of what I was expecting. It got so fast that I don’t have time to think about anything else but to follow the journey. Lovin' how it drives me to be in the story.

I think the monster that rolling in the living room is really gruesome!

Anyone here have read the whole book series or watch the Shadowhunters? Would love to know your opinion. 



***

Right now I’m binge-watching Pretty Little Liars (PLL). Some familiar faces as casts;  Lucy Hale (A Cinderella Story: Once Upon a Song), Holly Marie Combs (Charmed), Cody Christian (Teen Wolf), Bianca Lawson (Teen Wolf), Lindsey Shaw (Teen Spirit). Kinda hard to accept the story at first, because after watching Grimm, Brooklyn Nine-nine, Teen Wolf (Sheriff Stilinski) its hard to not be on the police side. Haha! The girls hold too much secret from the police (and even to each other). Sometimes, I forgot they are only 16 when this story started. Plus, Mr. Fitz, Wren, Toby Cavanaugh kinda look alike during first appearance. Kinda hard to differentiate. Only after few episodes I’ll be able to tell which is which. Still early to tell bout the whole story but one thing for sure, this series has lot of nice soundtracks.

Till then, XOXO – A.
:p

No comments: